Aug 8, 2003

I was watching the Daredevil DVD last night.

Perhaps I should qualify that, I was trying to watch the Daredevil DVD last night but, it’s very close to unwatchable.

I tried watching the movie the other day and found I couldn’t make it far past the first reel - it’s just that bad. I wasn’t surprised since it’s one of the few movies I actually fell asleep watching in the theater. I thought it might have had to do with me maybe being tired or something but, it really is that bad.

It could be used as a sleep aid.

The big selling point of the DVD was all the bonus material supposed to be a part of the set. Last night I wanted to check some of the bonus material out.

They had a documentary with the guys responsible for doing the Daredevil comic through the years.

I watched Stan Lee, John Romita and Gene Colan all of which were really interesting to hear from and about. “Old school” guys who had spent lots and lots of years making comics. Each had an interesting slant on the character and their own work - lots of fun.

Then, Frank Miller came on - I like Frank Miller’s work - sometimes.

His original and second runs on Daredevil were very entertaining and he hit a chord with the character that rejuvenated the title.

After about 15 minutes though, it was like enough already! Get over yourself!

Stan Lee created the character and didn’t drone on for as long as Frank Miller did! I had to stop the DVD I couldn’t make it all the way through. I’ll go back and watch some more of it later (if I can). As good as Miller was on his run, he’s part of the reason the book hasn’t developed since, nobody can go past what he did with the character. Between him and Kevin Smith they taken something that should have been really good and just buried it under all this unnecessary baggage. These guys take themselves way to seriously.

No comments: